giovedì 13 febbraio 2014

From on high of Northern Cape - Lost Odyssey

Memories make what you are, they make you feel alive, they make you belong to some place, a world that could be the earth on which you walk or the heart of someone you like or love, a person that left a mark on your path.
A gust of white petals caresses Kaim's face, seated among the flowers under a leaden sky, pierced by rays of sunshine. Imposing waves are colliding on cape's rocks again and again, creating a sense of peace in Kaim that he often searched for in the last times....
....another gust of wind moves his long hairs.....
....more than one thousand years of joy, love, pain, destruction....
....what was left af oll this? What forced Kaim to begin this endless journey, from town to town, battlefield after battlefield?.....
.....how many things he saw, how many people's births and deaths, how many wars, how much blood....
....what for?
These are many questions that Kaim failed to answer:- "Being immortal isn't that good like we could imagine"- thinked Kaim -"It's true, you have all the time you want to do everything, you wake up every day with something new to do and discover, new people to meet, but what are you leaving behind yourself? What awaits you?"-.
Imprisoned in life, Kaim knew and saw lot of births but also deaths, two ideas that for an immortal are hard to understand:-"You live so much time that you forget your origins, you lose your identity, you belong to no group, and you find yourself wandering in a world that slowly grows unknown and hostile, and there is no goal anymore, no origin and no end, ever. So is that true that a short life is better?"-.
Kaim could not manage to answer a question like this:-"I am immortal, I have no way, no reason to oppose myself to this"-.
Suddenly it began to rain, Kaim all wet soon enough, but he stayed among the white flowers....
.....drops of water layed down Kaim's cheeks and then on cape's fertile ground...
....the man lenghtened his arm and slowly opened his hand and suddenly closed it, as if he wanted to grab something....
....he raises his eyes to the sky....tears began to flow...:-" I cannot control my life nor my death, but finally I understood something...it's true, I can't leave anything to posterity nor I can hope to build something of importance for me and others, but I remember, I feel inside all that happened, I hear shouting, I hear laughing, I feel the warmth and coldness...I can revive everything through memories, I witnessed over one thousand years of events. I live through memories, for my memories, and finally I'm happy of it"-.
Suddenly rain ceased, and it seems that the sky is willing to open itself to let free an intense and deep blue.
It is time for Kaim to return home, to his beloved Sara and his grandchildren Cooke and Mack:-" I'll keep on living, without regrets, not thinking too much at the future, no more suffering, I just want you to know that you'll be always in my heart, you are immortal in my memories as I am...I love you"-.
Kaim turned around and began to walk home....far away, towards the horizon, Lirum's spirit dances and spins happy and carefree through sea's waves.

Kaim's last dream, written by me and ispired from tales collection "A Thousand Years of Dreams" of Kiyoshi Shigematsu.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento